Thursday 2 May 2013

What do you think about Macbeth?

Near the beginning of the play, when Duncan was killed, I felt sorry for Macbeth because Lady Macbeth pretty much made him do the murder. He even had second thoughts about it but she pushed him to go through with it. Although it was Lady Macbeth's fault that Duncan was murdered, after that happened Macbeth didn't seem to have a problem with killing anyone any more. He was convinced that by killing anyone who was a threat to him, he would succeed in his ambition to become king and make the Witches' prophesy come true. It didn't take me long to realize that Macbeth was an extremely selfish person and only cared about becoming king, no matter what he had to do. You see him slowly become more and more crazy throughout the play as he kills more and more people. He even killed people who weren't a real threat to him. In my opinion, Macbeth was very selfish and it's his own fault that it ended the way it did.

3 comments:

  1. I like how you have explored your altering thoughts on Macbeth, the man. I wonder why you think he is crazy? What makes him crazy, as opposed to just evil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts on Macbeth changed throughout the play in a similair way. I also felt bad for him at the beginning, but I guess a little of Lady Macbeth's ambition "rubbed off on him" and he became really cruel. The time that he sent the attack to Macduff's house to attack innocent people was when I really started to hate him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, that after Macbeth murdered Duncan, it triggered a part of him to become selfish. As he felt a possible threat, he would order for them to be killed. As a King, Macbeth should not possess this trait and therefore I agree that the result of his death was not unexpected.

    ReplyDelete