Monday 15 April 2013

Boston Bombing Reaction

I'm sure most of you have heard about the bombings in Boston by now. If you haven't, just flip on your tv to the nearest news station or look it up online, it's getting a lot of media attention. I know this doesn't relate to Macbeth or anything we've discussed in class, but I need a fourth post and this recent event has caught my attention. The way I see it is that there are two types of reactions by the public to this atrocity. The first type and more commonly seen among teenagers is shock and sympathy. My Twitter newsfeed is filled with tweets saying #prayforboston because obviously people are in shock with the recent events that have transpired today. Not only that, but you can't help but feel sorry for the victims of this horrific event, and people living in the area. I completely support this trending topic on Twitter because I hate to learn news of such sadness, and I only want the best for those who have been affected. Moving on to the next type of reaction, and that's disgust or annoyance. Believe it or not, there are many people who get irritated by those who tweet things like #prayforboston because they personally think that it's unfair to acknowledge tragedies in North America but not other countries. To an extent I can understand where these people are coming from, because it's true that society will react more to news that is widely publicized, opposed to events that happen in countries where the events are not always reported. Like the first type of reaction, I support this type as well because I feel as though people can be completely oblivious to the world around them. I'm definitely on the fence about this one, because a part of me feels sorrow for the people affected by the Boston Bombing, but another part of me is reminding me that acts of terrorism like this occur ALL the time in other countries, they just don't get the same recognition as Canada and the U.S. Anyways, I'm not trying to label people by how they reacted to this devastation, I just want to know where you guys stand. These two "types" of reactions are simply examples of a majority of teenagers' responses.


What ran through your head when you heard about the Boston Bombings?

1 comment:

  1. Rachel, thank you for such a thoughtful post. Your post fits in well to the course because you are looking at different perspectives regarding the Boston Bombing.

    I was shocked when I heard the news and I made the mistake of looking at pictures of the bombing. I will admit that I have avoided the news because it depresses me. In general, tragedies don't rattle me on a personal level. I hope that doesn't make me seem heartless.

    I think that when tragedy hits close to home, in places that are generally safe, people are shaken. I think that it is easy to ignore tragedies elsewhere because it happened "over there". I don't think this is necessarily right, but I think it is understandable. I wonder if it is a way to protect ourselves.

    ReplyDelete