Monday 8 April 2013

Should Shakespeare Still be Taught in High School English Classes?

Personally I don't believe that Shakespeare should still be taught in schools. Yes I do understand that there are many messages and meanings behind the acts in the plays that still remain the same these days but you could find much more modern text that would have the same messages and students wouldn't mind reading it. The students might not actually complain and they might learn something because let's be honest, the only thing students learn with Shakespeare is that they want nothing to do with it. I know I'm not the only one who thinks that Shakespeare shouldn't be taught any more.

2 comments:

  1. Branson, you are right that there are many other texts that can be used to teach the same messages as Shakespeare. I think like anything, it can be difficult to find something that pleases everyone. I wonder too if time changes people's perspectives. For example, I hated Shakespeare in high school, but now I really enjoy it and I am glad that I was forced to read Shakespeare by my English teachers.

    ReplyDelete