Sunday 9 June 2013

Bite of the Mango

I read "Bite of the Mango" for my ISU. This book is a true story about a young girl from Sierra Leone. She endured so many things that a child should not have to go through. By the age of 12 she had witnessed her family and friends being killed or torchered, she had lost both of her hands, she was raped and became pregnant. She experienced so many horrific things that it made her want to end her own life. This story made me realize how fortunate we are here in Canada.  Mariatu and her family had nothing but were happy, happiness only disappeared when tragedy overtook their lives. Here in Canada we have more than enough but yet many of us are not satisfied. We should be way more grateful for what we have and we cannot let the little things that make us upset take over our lives as we are extremly lucky.

2 comments:

  1. Meghan, I'm glad that Mariatu's story has helped you put our life in Canada in perspective. What direction are you taking your ISU presentation in?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't imagine what she went through, this must have been a very touching, eye opening book to read! I agree that us Canadians are very fortunate with our lives and not many have had to endure what Mariatu went through. I feel great respect for those who have overcome great challenges and have faced many terrors.

    ReplyDelete